Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mom’s Day Off

Sometimes I just need the day off.  After two weeks of Christmas vacation, my kids and I have had just a bit too much togetherness.

My parents wanted my kids to spend the night last night and given that we all needed a break, I jumped at the chance to spend a few hours in the grown-up world.  Since Phone Guy (aka Christmas Light Guy) decided he needed my help pulling down some lights, they ended up taking my kids about noon yesterday and they kept them until about 5pm today.

So after a few hours of pulling down lights, we came home and cleaned up and headed off to visit a friend of ours.  I spent the evening participating in adult conversations without having to excuse myself to break up a fight, console an injured child, or get somebody a snack.  We also went out for dinner and I never once had to correct anyone for belching or farting at the table, not eating their food or interrupting me while I was talking.  I know…amazing, right?  Especially since Phone Guy was with me.

We got up early this morning and went for breakfast, then headed out and spent the entire day shopping Christmas clearance sales.  We had so much fun and it was really enjoyable to shop without the kids complaining the whole time or asking if they can have every toy they see.

It was sheer heaven.

After we picked them up and got back to the house, Danger Boy climbed in my lap (he is 10 mind you) and snuggled with me for a while.

There was a little heaven in that too. 

No comments: