Friday, August 24, 2012

DIM Prospects

As I mentioned in my last post, I take a handful of supplements and a few meds every day.  I quit taking several of my medications without consulting my doctor (not recommending this approach - just how I did it).  The metformin made me sick, the birth control pills were just contributing to my high estrogen levels, the thyroid pills because I don't have a thyroid problem and I'm really not sure why I was on them in the first place.  I was also able to quit the daily Prilosec after I gave up dairy.  I had always just taken whatever my doctor gave me without really questioning it.  The only medications I am continuing on are the cholesterol and blood pressure meds (although since I quit caffeine my BP has gone down significantly and is in the "high normal" range now).  I am hoping, eventually, to be able to give these up as well.

I also take several supplements.  Most were recommended by my doctor, but a few I have researched on my own and have added since I started researching estrogen dominance.  DIM-Plus is one of the things I have added on my own.  DIM-plus contains highly concentrated amounts of diindolylmethane, a phytonutrient found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and kale. DIM has unique hormonal benefits that you don't find in other plant nutrients.  It is supposed to help reduce the risk of breast, cervical and other estrogen-driven cancers cancer by helping your body to make a better balance of the “good estrogen” (2-hydroxy-estrone) compared to the “bad estrogen” (16-alpha-hydroxy-estrone).  It is recommended to help with menopausal symptoms and for those of us who have an imbalance of estrogen/progesterone.  I love veggies but I would have to eat dozens of servings to get the benefits I get out of taking the DIM-Plus caps every day.

The verdict is still out on this one.  I've been on it for about 3 weeks now but it's hard for me to say for sure if it has made a big difference.  My hormones didn't get out-of-whack overnight and it is going to take some time for them to get back to normal.  Hopefully DIM-Plus will help.



No comments: