Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hungry Days

Do you ever have those days where you are hungry all day long?  I don't often, but yesterday was one of those days for me.

My kids went back to school yesterday.  I now have a junior and an 8th grader.  (Who are these people?  What did they do with my babies!?) It was a busy day.  I woke up at 4:45, got The Pleaser up at 5:00 and sent him off to the bus stop at 6:15, then got Danger Boy up and ready after that.  Then it started raining.  I dropped him at 8:30 and headed to work.  After a long traffic delay, I finally made it to work. 

I had eaten a protein bar at 5:30 but by 9:30 I was starving.  I ate the protein bar I had packed for my afternoon snack.  At 11:00, I was starving again.  I finally ate lunch about 11:45.  I was a good girl and had packed some homemade chicken tortilla soup, one bean and cheese taco, some grapes and about 5 chocolate covered almonds.  Normally that would be plenty for me but I was still hungry.  Since I ate my afternoon protein bar at 9:30, I was out of luck. 

I picked up The Pleaser about 3:45 and then went straight to Danger Boys school.  He is supposed to get out at 4:10 but we didn't manage to locate each other until almost 4:45.  You've probably seen that graphic on the interwebs that defines the word Hangry.  Well that's how I was feeling about that time.

I had planned dinner so that it wouldn't take long to fix.  I was supposed to go to a meeting at 6:00 and have The Pleaser back for band practice at 6:30.  Since it was already 5:00 when I got home, I immediately ran to the kitchen and started my second "meatless Monday" creation.  This time we had Spicy Spaghetti Squash with black beans.  I think I had way too much squash compared to the other ingredients and it wasn't what my family considers to be "spicy" but it was good and in case I haven't mentioned it - I was STARVING!  I quickly ate 2 helpings. 

After dinner, I decided there wasn't going to be time for me to make the meeting so I ran The Pleaser back up to school for band practice.  I came home and watched a couple of Criminal Minds re-runs.  Amazingly there were 2 episodes I hadn't seen.  I still felt like I needed to visit the all-you-can-eat buffet.  I ended up popping a little bit of popcorn and coating it with olive oil and sea salt.  Then I had a few almonds.  I felt like I might live, but truth be told, I was still hungry.

I picked The Pleaser up at 8:30 and he told me he had homework...in 3 classes...Really?  Who has homework on the first day of school?  So as he worked on that, I washed dishes then watched part of another Criminal Minds episode (one I had already seen about 4 times).  I was so glad for bedtime.  I was exhausted and hungry. I was hoping sleep would solve both of those problems. 

Let's hope today isn't another hungry day for me.

No comments: