Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Laughing So I Won't Cry

It is stressful trying to get the kids home from school and dinner on the table before The Pleaser has to be back at band practice at 6:30.  It didn't help yesterday that the boys were fighting while I was trying to get them to the table.  I lost my temper with them and asked them not to say another word to anyone until dinner was over.  They continued squabbling and picking at each other after the meal was over and while we were trying to get out the door for band.  I won't go into all the gory details but that sets up the situation for you.

As we were on the way to band practice, my phone alerted me of a text message.  I generally don't text and drive so I ignored it for the moment.  Then a few minutes later, it dinged again and since I was at a stoplight I picked it up to see what it was.  Well, as it turns out, The Pleaser had accidentally texted me instead of one of his friends.  The text read, "I hate my family.  I am going to live at xxxxxx (his school) from now on...."  Needless to say I was hurt and angry (mostly angry).  I proceeded to tell him how wonderful it was that he hated us and how I was so sorry that he had to live with us, and ride in the car with us to his band practice (which many parents would not make the sacrifices or efforts to let their kids go to),  etc.  He was stone silent the rest of the way and got out at school without a word.

We ran an errand and went back home.  Danger Boy was upset by everything so I tried to reassure him that everything was OK.  He and Phone Guy and I had a nice evening.

I picked The Pleaser up at 8:30 and he immediately apologized when he got in the car.  He told me he was just upset and felt blamed for everything.  I didn't have much to say but we made conversation on the way home.

This morning he asked if he could just stay through until band practice instead of coming home in between.  Of course, I had to ask.  "Why?  Because you don't want to be at home with us?"  (I know, I couldn't help myself)  "NO! Why do you have to bring that up again."  And he left for the bus stop shortly after for his 15 hour day at school. 

If you want to nominate me for Mom of the Year, go right ahead. *sigh*

No comments: